How does Reshape work?
The Reshape gastric balloon operates on the principle that a full stomach can’t also be a hungry stomach. The double-sphered abdominal implant is endoscopically inserted through the mouth and snaked down to the stomach, where it is inflated with sterile salt water (saline). Patients feel satisfied quicker, reducing excess eating and encouraging significant weight loss as a result.
Reshape requires no general anesthesia, incisions, surgical instruments or sutures. The gentle, non-invasive procedure takes about 30 minutes, and OC and Irvine area clients can return to their jobs or regular schedules usually the next day.
An integrated two-phase system that creates a long-term lifestyle shift
Reshape is different than ordinary weight loss programs because it combines the best of medical intervention and dietary coaching. The first part of the program lasts six months and consists of the stomach implantation and counseling on portion control and eating habits.
When the device is removed at the six-month marker, the client, now in phase two, is ready to face daily life on their own without the balloon. However, support continues at this critical juncture, locking in place the important changes the patient has learned thus far.
The Athenix Reshape system in Orange County includes:
- The groundbreaking Reshape gastric implant technology
- 24/7 online support and archives
- Access to an experienced and supportive team of doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers and lifestyle coaches
- Customized meal plans and exercise regimen
- Ongoing follow up appointments with the Athenix team for a full year
Who can benefit from Reshape?
An ideal candidate for Reshape:
- is over 18
- has never had bariatric surgery
- is not pregnant or breastfeeding
- is of sound mind
- has a BMI maximum of 40
- suffers from an obesity-related co-morbidity like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea or diabetes
- is willing to stick with their on-going lifestyle coaching for the full 12 months
- is physically able to tolerate an endoscope inserted through the mouth and throat
- needs to lose at least 25 lbs.
Successful, proven results from clinical trials
Most patients sampling the Reshape system found that they lost twice as much weight as they would have if they were practicing dietary changes and an exercise regimen alone. Additionally, the supportive two-phase coaching aspect of Reshape allowed clients to keep the weight off longer than they ordinarily would without medical intervention. On average, you can expect to lose somewhere between 15-35% of your excess weight with the Reshape balloon in place.
Managing Reshape’s side effects
Only a small percentage of patients will experience side effects from gastric balloon insertion, with nausea being the main symptom. If you do feel nauseous, the doctor can provide you with medications to reduce the sensation, but typically this discomfort evaporates within days as the body adjusts to the device.
Who designed Reshape?
The Reshape dual balloon gastric implant is the brainchild of Reshape Medical Inc. (formerly Abdominis), a San Clemente-based company founded in 2005. Reshape Medical strives to create innovative intragastric implants that work to combat obesity worldwide.